I've always thought that the best thing about a great sandwich is the bread. I wish I could bake the perfect panini bread, but I haven't quite figured out that secret formula yet. So, I buy these crusty little demi baguettes from a local bakery instead. They're basically classic French style loaves, but they're petite: approximately 6 inches long and about 2 1/2 inches wide. With these, any sandwich fillings are immediately elevated to the realm of Best Sandwich Ever.
That said, I'm pretty sure this would be the Best Sandwich Ever regardless of these magical little loaves. These are the perfect pairing for almost any soup or salad, in case sandwich alone is not enough to satisfy your hunger pains.
Basil Apple Mustard Panini Sandwiches
Yield: 2 sandwiches
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or other high heat oil)
2 demi baguettes or sandwich loaves
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 slices vegan mozzarella
5-6 large basil leaves, sliced lengthwise in quarters
1/2 an apple, sliced thinly (I used Honeycrisp)
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Slice baguettes lengthwise and smear both halves with mustard.
- Layer mozzarella, basil leaves and apple slices on one side and then reassemble the baguette.
- Press firmly to squish the sandwich together, then place in the skillet.
- Toast for 3-4 minutes, pressing down on the sandwiches with a spatula or using a weight (a foil-wrapped brick, a pot of water, etc).
- Flip sandwiches over and toast an additional 1-2 sides until cheese is melted completely.
Connect with The Verdant Life on Facebook or Twitter.