Whether you spend your days in an office, at home or at school, we all get a little snack attack from time to time. I'm a champion snacker, preferring several small meals a day to 3 squares, and I know what I like and what I don't. I also know what works in terms of giving me the sustenance I need to maintain my mental clarity, physical energy and sunny disposition (haha). Here are a few of my favorites.
5. An apple with nut butter. Justin's makes office-friendly individual packets of nut butters (ahem, portion control!) and they have spectacular vegan-friendly flavors like Chocolate Almond and Chocolate Hazelnut. Artisana is another great brand with exotic options like cashew and coconut butters.
4. Energy-packed healthy bites like these cocoa orange oat bars I adapted from the recipe at Anja's Food 4 Thought. See her other recipes for more healthy snack bar options like this one. These are also a great breakfast-on-the-go!
3. Roasted chickpeas. You can dress these little babies up with any spice combination that suit you. Cumin and coriander are my favorites. Crunchy and savory, just 1/4 cup of these will curb your afternoon munchies. Bonus: Because they're dry, this snacks makes you thirsty and we all need a hydration boost from time to time.
2. Granola and nondairy yogurt. I make my own granola and pair it with 3/4 cup plain nondairy yogurt (I like Whole Soy) and, optionally, a sliced banana. Sounds like breakfast, but it's a great pick-me-up any time of the day.
1. Miso soup. This may seem like a strange snack suggestion but earthy, salty miso soup can fill you up without adding a ton of calories to your day. Instant miso packets are easy to find in most major supermarkets (check the ingredients, though, as many contain "bonito" or shrimp flakes). Bonus: Make it in a mug and take it with you to your afternoon meeting!
You should 'like' The Verdant Life on Facebook.