Ladies and gentleman, I have gone mad. Yes, that's right. I, the girl who doesn't really care for sweets, am posting not one but TWO donut recipes this week. After my baked apple donut post, I received e-mails from a few folks demanding to see some chocolate. I had already developed a chocolate donut recipe and talked about it on the Facebook page, but nobody had seen the recipe. Yet!
These dense, cakey donuts are virtually fat-free so they're a totally guilt-less breakfast and dessert in one.
Chocolate-Chocolate Donuts with Dark Chocolate Ganache
Yield: 8 donuts
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp vegan chocolate sauce or extract
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips, crushed in a food processor
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
3-4 Tbsp vanilla almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray donut pan lightly with oil and set aside.
- Whisk together wet ingredients (including brown sugar) until foamy.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl, then add the wet mixture and fold in.
- Spoon into donut pan, filling each donut cup almost to the top and bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the donuts are baking, melt chocolate in the microwave or in a small saucepan.
- Add almond milk 1 Tbsp at a time, stirring to combine until you reach the consistency of pancake batter.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- When donuts are cool enough to handle, dip one side in the chocolate ganache and place them on a cooling rack.